Tuesday 26 July 2011

6 Simple Ways to Combat Homesickness

So its been just over two weeks now, and I have been having a terrific experience so far.  While I'm enjoying so many things, I'm not going to lie, there are times when I would rather be home.  Its usually the little things that tip the scales.  Things like the lack of sidewalks, the unpredictable electricity situation or the abundance of roosters at 4:00am.  In no way am I wishing my time away here, but I do get a little homesick from time to time, so I thought I'd write about the ways that I have been dealing with it (just in case you ever find yourself in a similar situation!).

Plan a busy day.  Its very difficult to feel homesick when your day is full of distractions.  You've got the rest of your life to enjoy the comforts of home, so even if you aren't feeling your best, get out of the house and do something. ANYTHING is better than being bored.

Journal.  Sometimes things feel a lot worse than they actually are.  I know I have a habit of wasting a lot of time thinking about my problems.  Journelling helps me to remember the good things that happened in my day and helps put my problems into perspective.  Its also nice to look back on earlier entries and see that you're not feeling the same way anymore.

Acknowledge your feelings.  Being homesick is natural and normal.  You can't expect to love and enjoy every experience that you have while you're away from home.  Sure its fun to confidently walk down busy streets and be the only mzungu (white foreigner) but is it REALLY that much fun to dodge herds of goats, motorcycles and dogs on the street?  Be honest with yourself and acknowledge how you're feeling, and share it with the people you're with.  Its likely that they're going through something similar and its always nice to know that you aren't alone.


Don't wallow.  Some days its easier to feel homesick than others, but don't let yourself get caught up in it.  You're away from home for a short time, and the minute you get back home you'll miss where you were.  Sure its easy to imagine your life if you were at home, but don't miss it too much, it'll still be there when you come back.

Comfort food.  You like it at home, why wouldn't you like it here?  I just bought myself some peanut butter to eat at breakfast, and it was a GREAT decision.  Its a small reminder of home and its delicious.

Get updates from home.  Sure I'm only away for six weeks, and sure the time is flying by, but I still love hearing from my friends and family back at home.  Sure life is going on without me at home, but its nice to know that when I come back I won't be completely out of the loop!  Its always nice to find a new email in my inbox, sometimes the nicest cure for homesickness is to realize that people back home haven't forgotten about you (that's a hint for everyone reading this :P ).

Well there you have it, my six simple tips for dealing with homesickness :)

-Matt

3 comments:

  1. It's not a surprise that you are feeling homesick. Look at what an amazing mom you have! Anyone would miss her. She is awesome! LOL
    Love,
    Y

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, you are right about one thing....as soon as you get back home, you'll be missing the dark continent. Re the Q-tips.....a bobby pin (or a stick) wrapped under a wet cloth will do the trick....that's what we used back in my day and it didn't kill us. :P You kids these days have it too easy! LOL Just be careful not to stick it in your ear too hard....ouch!

    Just trying to make you less homesick!

    Love,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe Yvonne really believes you miss your Mom, while I am fully aware that you truly miss your amazing Aunt Yvonne. All those intellectual conversations that you can share with Yvonne that I'm just not smart enough to participate in. Personally, in regard to the Q-tip item, I did happen to stick in my ear too far one day and perhaps I pierced my brain.

    Missing you Matt,

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete