Thursday 19 May 2011

Back on Track (to Africa)

So these last few weeks have been extremely busy!   Mainly because I've been preparing my MSc thesis for its defense.  The defense was yesterday, and it went pretty well!   I gave a 25 minute presentation, followed by about 5 minutes of questions and then I had an oral exam for about an hour and a half.  The questions were tough, but I feel that I did pretty well!  I'll submit my thesis tomorrow, and then I will OFFICIALLY be done!

Once I am OFFICIALLY done, I'll have more time to do things to prepare myself for Tanzania!  While I posted on this blog a few months ago that I was starting to learn Swahili, that has really taken a back seat in my life.  I'm starting to worry that I've pushed it off for too long.  Starting this weekend, I will be practicing and learning my Swahili, in an attempt to have at least a basic understanding of it! 

I also need to wrap up my vaccinations, still needing my meningitis shot as well as a couple other things. 

I've begun to think about my packing list.  Its long and slightly dreadful, all the things I'm going to have to bring and all of the things I'm going to have to leave behind!  Its kind of exciting though!!

I'm also getting more excited to have some spare time to be able to learn more about the Tanzanian culture and start really REALLY pumping myself up for this experience!    I just checked my countdown and I see that I only have 50 days left until departure! WOW!

Even though I've defended my thesis successfully the work is still not over (how is that even possible?!), I still need to finish up some recommended corrections on my thesis.  So I'm going to get to that and then very very very soon all my attention will be on AFRICA!

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment