Sunday 5 June 2011

The Umoja Centre

Hey Friends!

So I had a little time this afternoon and thought I'd write up a quick blurb about where I will be volunteering this summer.  From what I understand, for the majority of the six week project, the four of us will be spending our time working at and with the Umoja Centre.  

The Umoja Centre was started in 2009 by Caroline Goody and Emma Wagner.  Together, they developed a centre which aims at filling a gap in the education system for young people, who have received only minimal educations and aspire to something more.

The Umoja Centre offers a year long course (to about 40 students a year) which enables these youth to learn vital skills as well as expand their knowledge on issues that affect them and issues that affect the world.  Some of the classes offered are in English, Computing and IT, Personal Development, Civics, Business Studies and Careers.

I'm not entirely sure where my skills will be most useful, but I'm hoping that I'll have some opportunity to use my science background and teach some science!

Below are some pictures which I have taken from various websites which describe the Umoja Centre, I've attached links to all of these websites at the bottom of this post.

The Computer Lab

Lots of Smiles

A Full Computer Lab

Lunch is Served

English Class
That's everything that I've learned about the Umoja Centre, and while it they accept all sorts of donations, it seems like there is no shortage of smiles.  I cannot wait for my visit and to meet the students and staff!

For more information visit the following links on The Umoja Centre:
The Official Umoja Centre Website: http://umoja.com.au/joomla

No comments:

Post a Comment