Tuesday 21 June 2011

The Excitement is Building

With less than three weeks left before Jessie and I will board a plane that will take us half way around the world, I'm starting to feel the pressure!  Its an interesting mix between feeling nervous and excited as well as stressed out.  The only major thing that I have left to do before leaving is to pack!  My good friend Craig lent me his camping knapsack.  The knapsack is huge and while I am still taking my own smaller knapsack, I'm not sure I'll be able to fit everything!  I'll have to do a few practice packs in the upcoming weeks to see what does and doesn't make the cut!
Yesterday I had a chance to chat with Jessie via skype, and I was really glad that we did!  It totally calmed me down and reminded me how excited I am to go.  I was beginning to feel nervous, worried I would just be home sick and not fit in or not enjoy myself for 6 weeks.  Jessie was having similar feelings, so its nice to know that I'm not alone in feeling like this and also nice to know that I'll have Jessie and two other volunteers to be friends with!Tomorrow we have a teleconference booked where I will officially 'meet' Sureet and Marilyn, and I'm pretty excited for that!

Well this is a terribly scattered  post, but I just thought I'd update anyone who is still reading this and to let everyone know that I'm still feeling really excited! 

-Matt

3 comments:

  1. Totally normal to be nervous. I have a feeling the 6 weeks will fly by and you wish you were there for 8 weeks. You also have Jessie with you. I suggest you should bring a picture of your Aunt Yvonne with you...since she is your favourite person in the whole world.

    Love
    Mom (ha, ha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,
    Of course I will send you a picture of me....I am touched by how much I mean to you.

    Aunt
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Matt,
    With your regards to your request for a picture of Aunt Yvonne, sorry no can do. Don't you remember the night we collected all photos of her and ripped them to shreds? Remember the fun we had? It's one of my fondest memories. I guess I wasn't "myself" when I wrote that email. If Yvonne sends you a picture of herself, just bring it home. It will give us something to do over the long weekend. I'll start mixing the marguerittas!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete