Wednesday 23 February 2011

Let the Fundraising Begin! [http://yci.tigweb.org/ind/MattLeslie]

So one thing I have yet to mention in this blog, is the amount of money I am going to require in order to participate in the project overseas (whoops!).  In order to take part in this project, I am responsible for raising $3400 as well as paying for my own airfare, vaccinations and any other cost that comes with travelling abroad.

When I first understood that I was to raise $3400 I was a little overwhelmed.  It seemed like an awful lot of money for me to have to raise in order to volunteer.  I wondered, where exactly is this money going?

Looking into YCI, I discovered that they strictly adhere to the guidelines provided by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).  The CRA's Income Tax Act allows for a range of 80% of the fundraised money to be used for programming costs and 20% to be used for administration and other fundraising.  YCI's uses 88% of the fundraised money for programming and 12% for administration costs. 

A lot of the money will go directly to the project I will be taking part in as well as providing me with food and accommodations while in Tanzania.  Knowing this I felt a little bit better, however still overwhelmed.

I have a long way to go, but would like to kick of the fundraising today!  My personal fundraising page has become available and you can visit it at: http://yci.tigweb.org/ind/MattLeslie.  All online donations will immediately receive a tax receipt.

Every Sunday I'll post on my fundraising efforts and send a special shout out to everyone who has contributed to my project!

That being said, lets Raise some Funds!!

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment